Sunday, February 8, 2015

Hip-Hop Experts Share Memories of Ghostface Killah's 'Supreme Clientele'


Favorite Memory Involving 'Supreme Clientele'


"'Supreme Clientele' is actually one of my personal top 5 favorite albums of all time. Every time I mention this album being better than 'Ironman,' I get backlash. Whatever. This album is almost flawless and a complete listenable and enjoyable body of work.


I remember purchasing my first copy of this album like it was yesterday. I was in college and I had just heard 'One' on the radio. Yes, I actually heard it on the radio. The 'Apollo Kids' video was already on TV, and the beat was stupid, so the anticipation for this album release in my mind was unbearable at this point.


The Sam Goody up at Michigan State would run these one-hour Monday midnight releases for the albums that were coming out that Tuesday. 'Supreme Clientele' was on the list. I was definitely there. I bought my copy. I put it in my Sony Discman. As soon as 'Nutmeg' came on, I stopped walking and laid in the snow. The rest was history."


Favorite Song(s) on the Album and Why:


"My favorite song on the album has always been 'Nutmeg' (produced by Black Moes-Art), followed closely by 'Mighty Healthy'(produced by JuJu from Beatnuts) and 'One' (produced by Mathematics).'Nutmeg' just changed the whole way I look at repetitive beats. As soon as that sample started I was locked in. It set me up for the rest of the album. 'Mighty Healthy' was just the type of raw s--- that I love. From the lyrics to the beat, everything fell into place nicely. '…rap Derek Jeter…' As far as 'One,' I'm a melody-driven producer and I loved the bassline melody of the sample. I used to recite every lyric on this song and not know what the hell Ghost was talking about. He said '…lay my balls on ice, the branches in my weed be the vein…,' lmao."


Favorite Beat(s) on the Album and Why:


My favorite beats on the album would be between, again, 'Nutmeg' and 'Stroke of Death.' They both are just filled with the grit and rawness that I love. Also, they both have this repetition that I just can't get enough of. Emcees should love beats with repetition, it really helps them shine more. '…slalf hash Indian…,' lol."


What Makes the Album a Classic:


"What doesn't make this album a classic? In 2000, this album surpassed everything to me. Including the Intro, outro and skits; 'Supreme Clientele' is 21 joints, one better than the next that you don't have to skip through. The lyrics and deliveries are on point, from Ghost and Rae, to guest features like Method Man, Redman and Solomon Childs. The beats are just dumb. That's good dumb. Such a great choice of samples and drum combos and the arrangement of the album couldn't have been better (even though it doesn't match the tracklisting on the back). To me, it's a classic because if I had to take five albums on a deserted island, this would be one of them. Simple."


5. Favorite Verse on the Album and Why:


"I never thought that I would ever say this in public, but my favorite verse on 'Supreme Clientele' is probably RZA's verse on 'Stroke of Death.' Man, although I'm a huge fan of RZA on the beats, I've never really been a fan of him on the mic. Sheeeiiit, he went in on this joint though. '…Tony Montana flow, creamy white havana Joes…'"


Song From the Album You Wish You Had Produced and Why:


"The joint on this album that I wish I produced would probably have to be 'Apollo Kids.' It's just a great joint with great progression, and it had such a BIG feel to it. The sample was done perfectly. You couldn't tell me shit if I made that joint, lol."