Wednesday, February 5, 2014

NYC Mayor Boycotts St. Patrick's Day Parade for Rejecting Gays (@deBlasioNYC)



NYC's new mayor, Bill de Blasio has confirmed that he won't march in this year's St. Patrick's Day Parade, because the parade doesn't allow gay groups to march. He told reporters, "I will be participating in a number of other events to honor the Irish heritage of this city and the contributions of Irish-Americans, but I simply disagree with the organizers of that parade in their exclusion of some individuals in this city."



Bill de Blasio did emphasize he didn't march in the parade as Public Advocate. However, responding to the call from gay rights groups and city officials like Public Advocate Letitia James to ban uniformed city employees (like cops and firefighters) from marching, he said, "I believe that uniformed city workers have a right to participate if they choose to and I respect that right."



The Catholic League was outraged at de Blasio's stance, with its president Bill Donohue saying, "This is the first time in New York City history that its mayor has decided to boycott the St. Patrick's Day parade. Personally, I am delighted: I lead the Catholic League contingent every year, and I do not want to march with a public official who does not want to be associated with Irish Catholics."



Source: NY1