Sunday, March 1, 2015

Charmayne Maxwell, Brownstone Singer, Dies From Fall

BrownstoneSony Music

Sad news to report in the R&B community. Charmayne Maxwell, a singer of the ‘90s R&B group Brownstone, has died after a mysterious fall.


Details are scarce, but according to TMZ, Maxwell was at a soccer game in Denmark on Saturday (Feb. 28) when she accidently fell. No additional information on how she exactly died was provided.


Upon hearing the news of Maxwell’s death, fellow Brownstone singer Teisha Brown went on Instagram to share a photo of the trio singing together on stage. “I just need to be by you 1 more time on stage MAX! #BROWNSTONE #FOREVER R.I.H. I miss you already!! My heart is so heavy. I LOVE YOU SISTER!!” she wrote.


Maxwell’s brother, Brandon, went on Twitter to mourn his sister’s death, tweeting, “R.I.P my beautiful sister Charmayne “Maxee” Maxwell. I can’t even believe I’m typing this right now.”


Brownstone was a popular R&B female trio who were signed to Michael Jackson’s MJJ Music label back in the mid-’90s. In 1995, they released their debut album, From the Bottom Up, which garnered two Top 10 R&B hits: “If You Love Me” and “Grapevyne.” The former song earned them a Billboard Music Award and a Grammy nomination.


Maxwell has been married to Danish producer Carsten “Soulshock” Schack for 20 years. They met when Michael Jackson hired the producer to create music with Brownstone. Maxwell leaves behind a son named Nicolaj with Soulshock.


We want to send our heartfelt condolences to Maxwell’s family and friends. May she rest in peace.





Watch Brownstone’s “If You Love Me” Video


Watch Brownstone’s “Grapevyne” Video


See Stars We Lost in 2014