Friday, May 23, 2014

One In a Million: Aaliyah Biopic Coming to VH1 This Summer? (@trizzio)



While her fans and fellow artists have been keeping the dream of an Aaliyah biopic alive since her tragic death in 2001, there's never been a concrete statement of intent on behalf of Aaliyah's family to make it a reality. However, towards the end of 2013, the late singer's uncle and former manager revealed that the story may hit the small screen later this year.


"#TeamAaliyah #VH1 "One in a million" The Aaliyah Story @VH1 sneak peek! Merry Christmas enjoy #2014," he tweeted.


Now it seems the film's producers are hard at work looking for the best actress to play the R&B princess. While it's unclear exactly who's in the running, actress Tristin Mays was a strong contender, but didn't book the role:


"Normally I wouldn't do something like this, but a very close friend of mine, @loganlaurice, gave me the courage to speak up about something that's been pending and sitting on my heart. Today, I can't be upset that I didn't book the role I worked so hard for. This may have been the most difficult, emotional, inspiring, and lengthy audition process I've ever experienced. Getting the chance to portray someone I've always loved and admired so much was a blessing every single step of the way. I invested every ounce of my body mind and soul into this process and I can honestly say I'm proud of myself. God definitely has something incredible in store for me. A huge thank you to everyone who believed in me and spoke up for me in the room. And a huge congratulations to everyone in the cast!#TheAaliyahStory. Like Logan said, you're satisfied no matter the outcome of things that aren't in your control. -Tristin Mays"


Check out flicks of Tristin above. Could she have pulled it off? Who do you think should play Aaliyah in the VH1 biopic? Let us know below.


Source: MadameNoire