Monday, April 28, 2014

Lil Bibby: I Had to Make My Homies Listen to Drake (@lilbibby_, @drake)



Up-and-coming Chicago MC Lil Bibby dropped his mixtape, "Free Crack" late last year and quickly garnered a huge fan base, both in and outside the industry. He gained fans like Tyler, The Creator, Mac Miller, J. Cole, Big Sean and the boy himself Drizzy Drake.


Bibby recently chopped it up with Complex about his next EP, preferring to work solo in the studio, and why he had to defend Drake to his fellow Chi-town fam.


On his next EP, Bibby says he's still working on the final touches, with choosing the tracklist being his biggest dilemma:


"It's almost finished. I'm really having a little trouble picking the songs cause I got a lot of good songs. I don't know what songs I'm gonna put on there."


He also shared that he'd rather work alone in the studio in order to remain focused and not have to worry about other people's work habits, but is willing to break his own rule for the right collaboration:


"I just like doing my own thing," Bibby said. "Working on my own time...Like other people I don't know how they work or they process. I just know how to do my thing, you know? Some artists like Big Sean and J. Cole said they wanna get in the studio and make something. So, I guess I gotta make an exception for those guys."


Bibby then revealed that while he always appreciated Drake's music, his fellow Chicago fam never really gave the Canadian rapper a shot:


"I'm from Chicago, man. And I'm from the streets so not a lot of people listen to Drake, I'm not gonna lie to you. When it was Drake and Wayne, we was big Wayne fans in Chicago. When Drake come on they'd try to turn or something, I was like 'man, what is you doin'? I had to make my homies sit down and listen to what he was saying, you know? So, I was always a big Drake fan. And for him to reach out to me that was just a big moment."


Bibby plans on getting his face out there more throughout the year with the release of his new EP and ideally a small tour.


Source: Complex